As a current or potential LOST 2020 attendee, you likely have questions about how we’re proceeding in light of the coronavirus. Information on the outbreak changes hourly but I want to provide the best information I can as of today so you can plan ahead.
I am monitoring the situation daily and continue to be in frequent contact with our vendors/venues about the situation. As of today, there are no plans to cancel the event. However, that does not mean as we get closer this won’t change. The health and safety of attendees and everyone involved remains a top priority.
Due to the changing nature of the outbreak, a final decision on canceling will happen by the first week of April. Much can change in this window of time. But as of today, the event is 108% still on.
What is being taken into consideration when it comes to canceling?
The overall health and safety of attendees, the current status of the virus in the US (particularly Hawaii) and abroad, travel restrictions that would impact a large group of our attendees (for example, there are a lot of people coming from the U.K., Canada, and Italy), if/how many venues close their facilities, recommendations from officials in Honolulu, etc.
Will there be refunds if the event does get cancelled?
If we have to cancel, there will be a partial refund but the exact dollar amount (or percentage) is not yet known. We’re very close to the event and deposits have been paid – and in some case entire fees – to vendors/venues. Some of which are non-refundable, despite the coronavirus.
Would the event be rescheduled instead of canceling?
It’s not off the table, but it is unlikely. This event has a lot of moving parts which make it difficult to pick it up and move it to a later date. Cast availability would also change.
When the event proceeds in May, will venues or events change due to the virus?
It is possible, but we won’t know until we’re closer. Some venues are waiting until they have a clearer picture of the outbreak status in April/May. While the event is close it’s still too far out to know if these types of changes would need to happen.
How will we be updated if there are changes to the schedule?
An email will be sent to attendees and prospective attendees (those who are on our email list). The website will also be updated and posts will go up on our Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Notice about AirBnb’s and VRBO
If you are booking your lodging now, please be sure to read this article from CNN which outlines difficulty you may encounter if you decide to cancel your stay based on the coronavirus. This isn’t a suggestion to stay at the host hotel, but their standard cancellation policy is still in effect and other hotels likely are as well. While yes, the cost is slightly higher at a hotel – if you need to cancel for any reason you’ll be able to get your money back. Just be in the know before you book.
Notice about flights
Stay up to date on travel information from your airline carrier due to the coronavirus. Some countries now have travel bans in place and it’s likely the number of countries imposing such bans will increase before things improve.
Also, if you haven’t booked your flight yet you may want to do so soon. More airlines in the US are beginning to reduce travel domestically. Be current on information about travel insurance as well as waivers in case you need to change a flight (most carriers are dropping the charge for this).
To stay up to date about the coronavirus, please be sure to visit these sites:
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Image via NBC News